I always recommend HostGator Shared Hosting for WordPress Beginners. It is robust, simple and super fast. Today I will cover a very important and useful tutorial about hostgator cpanel which will allow you to maintain the cpanel account security and have peace of mind. Before proceeding, I have added a few articles on HostGator Coupon codes that will help you get huge discounts for purchasing your web hosting account. If you have missed any, here they are:
Creating a website is not that much difficult. But there will be some situations in which we will need the expertise of a professional designer to take our sites to the next level. Many of us hire web designers from freelancer marketplaces like Freelancer.com, Fiverr.com etc. Most of us make a mistake here by giving the CPanel login password to the “completely unknown” web developer. In fact as a beginner, I have given my Hostgator CPanel password to a designer I hired.
There is a workaround for managing this risk. We can create an FTP account for each domain and give the developer access to only that FTP account. The developer can access the FTP account using Desktop software like FileZilla. This trick is applicable for all web hosts who use CPanel. Almost all popular hosts like Hostgator, Bluehost etc. use CPanel.
How To Create A New FTP Account On HostGator CPanel:
- Login to the Hostgator CPanel with the credentials in the welcome mail you got from Hostgator.
- Click on FTP Accounts from the POPULAR LINKS or FILES tab.
- In the next window, you will be able to Add FTP account or manage existing FTP accounts.
- Give a Login name, select the Domain and input a strong password. I recommend clicking on the Password generator and creating a random one using it. Remember to copy it in a safe place or write down.
- You have to be careful about the Directory. If you want to use the Primary Domain( Which you input while purchasing the Hostgator Hosting), give the Directory name as “public_html” If you are creating FTP account for any other domain you added(Addon Domain), give Directory as “public_html/addondomain”
- Here the domain couponnexus.com is an addon domain of the account and hence the Directory name should end in public_html/couponnexus.com/
- Leave the Quota as Unlimited and click on “Create FTP Account”
- New FTP account will be created and you can see it in the FTP Accounts section below.
- Click on the Gear Icon “Configure FTP Client”. There you can see the manual settings or get the configuration files for FTP clients like FileZilla, CoreFTP etc. Click on “FTP Configuration File” and download the configuration file. Here I am using FileZilla.
- Now open FileZilla on your computer. Click on File > Import and browse to select the downloaded configuration file with .xml extension.
- This will import the settings to your FileZilla. Now goto File-> Site Manger and choose the desired site from My Sites as shown in the below picture.
- Click on Connect and input the FTP password in the prompt window.Click on Yes and you will get logged in the Hostgator FTP Account.
- You can simply share the Configuration file and FTP password with your Developer to connect to your Hosting account via FTP while ensuring security of your Hostgator CPanel Account.
You can apply this tutorial in all hosting providers which use CPanel as the control panel. It will work with the following popular web hosting providers: